|Talibés studying the Quran|
|A talibé entering his room|
Human Rights Violations
Talibés In My Town
|Marabout showing me where the talibés sleep|
|Talibé asleep in the room he shares with many other boys|
|Marabout laughing with his kids|
|Older talibés in their room|
|Group of talibés showing me their room|
- Verify that they get enough mosquito nets during the upcoming national distribution
- Health talks (causeries) on nutrition, malaria, hygiene and hand washing, diseases, etc.
- “Men As Partners” tourneys to advocate the “modern daara” system (which teaches talibés a trade or sends them to French school in addition to Quranic studies) and a male Senegalese rep from Peace Corps to talk to the boys about their future, sex ed and reproductive health, violence, etc.
- French / alphabetization / literacy lessons with the kids
- Bars of soap (25-50¢ per bar, depending on size) – Just $10 can buy 20-40 bars, enough for 1 daara!
- Hand washing stations – bucket and pouring kettle ($4-6)
- Powder laundry soap (“Omo” – 10-50¢ per packet, depending on size)
- Bleach (“Eau de Javel” – $1 per bottle)